Sunday 17 July 2016

On the reading list...

Now that I have finished my English lit degree, I can finally read the books I want to read! Goodbye Renaissance drama, Restoration and boring Irish lit, I have no interest in you whatsoever!

I'm in between a few books at the minute, but as I was scouring in the shelves in Waterstones (an almost weekly occurance) I found a book called Lucky by Alice Sebold. If you are familiar with her work, she wrote The Lovely Bones, a novel about a young girl in the 1970s who gets raped and murdered. heavy stuff I know, but it is a great book about a very serious issue that is worth to know about.

"Lucky" by Sebold is a memoir revealing the moment her life changed when she was raped at 18 during freshman year of college. A dark subject matter, I not only bought this book because it was written by Sebold but because of theme of the book. Rape and rape culture is a very serious issue with millions of men and women falling victim to it. It is important for everyone to become aware of it and understand what constitutes as consent.

So it's Sunday night and it's time to unwind and begin this book. A review will surface in the next few days!

Niamh x

No comments:

Post a Comment