Monday 21 November 2016

The Art of Trying to Stay Positive in Life

I think it is fair to say that 2016 has been one hellish year. Between politics going absolutely bonkers with Brexit and Trump getting elected, to humanitarian crises in the Middle East and Europe, to Brad and Angelina breaking up, I'm not sure humanity can't take much more!

Personally, 2016 has been an incredibly negative year for me. Between graduating university, getting rejected from a masters course, employment problems to huge falling outs with friends, I am so excited to see the back of 2016. However, because I've gone through so much, my coping mechanisms have improved. Through all my stresses and disappointments, I have learned to manage my emotions and anxiety so much better than I ever did before. I know myself that I can be a massive pessimist and definitely see the world through some very cynical glasses, but it is important to not focus on the bad and try to at least, see things from a positive point of view.

Here are a few things to remember and to possibly consider when you're feeling down and out.
  1. Always breathe 
  2. If something shocks me or if I get really bad news, I always need to sit down and breathe very slowly and deeply. I usually panic and get much worse if I don't sit and calm down. By breathing deeply, it allows your mind to process things while giving your body a rest.  
Stop trying to be perfect 

One bad thing I will admit about myself is that I strive to have it all. I want the job, the relationship, the friends, the house etc. We put so much stress on ourselves to be perfect, we get so unhappy if we don't meet expectations we force upon us. We need to stop trying to be perfect and try and be happy with who we are. It's ok to make mistakes. 

Exercise 

I cannot stress how beneficial this is. By simply going out for a walk can hugely improve your mental health and mindset. If bad things happen to me, I grab the dog and go on a long walk to improve my mood. Exercise releases chemicals called endorphins that improve your mood which is definitely useful when you're feeling down and lost about things. 

Accept and find solutions 

A lot of us are resistant to change. We hate change! Whether good or bad, changes inevitably happen all throughout our lives and it's important to be able to adjust and work with changing circumstances. The last year I have had to adjust to MANY changes such as finishing university, changing jobs and realising that friends change and move on. I have had to accept changes and find solutions. Negative changes can throw us off even worse, but when our brains are conditioned to stay positive in negative situations, we are able to cope so much better. With the power of positive thinking, we can learn to put negative situations in perspective and be able to deal with them.

Talk to friends and family 

I always find talking to a close friend or family member hugely beneficial. I am a worrier but find solutions in airing out my problems by talking about them for hours (quite literally!) There is something very cathartic by releasing your inner thoughts and emotions and getting another persons take on things. It is always important to listen to advice, as our own decision making isn't always the best thing to do depending on a current mindset. 

Remember everything is temporary 

Every time there is a dark cloud, it eventually moves on. Every time you get hurt you heal. As cliche as it sounds, after darkness, there is always light - meaning nothing lasts for forever, happiness will come along soon enough. When I was going through a tough time, I honestly believed nothing was ever going to get better or change. But it did. Just because life is horrible for a moment, doesn't mean it'll last forever. 

To whoever is reading this, just remember bad things pass. It is hard to remain positive but life constantly changes and moves on, everything is temporary.

Niamh x

No comments:

Post a Comment