Thursday 24 November 2016

Hey Girl: why us women need to start empowering eachother

As I'm writing, I'm listening to Lady Gaga's new album Joanne. One track that really stands out for me is Hey Girl. Not only does it feature lovely vocals from Lady Gaga and Florence Welch (where has she been recently?!), it also sends a nice message of female empowerment. It has the two ladies singing the lyrics:

Hey girl, hey girl 
We can make it easy if we lift each other 
Hey girl, hey girl 
We don't need to keep on one-in' up another 
Hey girl, hey girl 
Hey girl, hey girl 
If you lose your way J
just know that I got you 
Just know that I got you

I personally love this song and I think it's great that two female artists are singing about helping each other, rather than fighting over a man or who is the most attractive. It's nice to see this theme expressed instead of female rivalry which is often depicted in popular culture. One recent rivalry between two female celebrities that springs to mind is Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. There is literally THOUSANDS of column inches DEDICATED to writing about how much they hate each other. It is undeniable that in society, we are totally conditioned by the media to believe that women should be rivals to each other. We are constantly trying to one-up each other, whether it's in our careers or education, how we look and what possessions we own. It's also not a nice message to send out to young audiences. As a young woman, I know all too well how competitive we can be and it's not a nice environment to be in. We should be happy for the achievements we achieve, rather than tearing one another down out of pure jealousy. Wouldn't it be cool to see Katy and Taylor collaborate on a song about female empowerment, rather than tweeting indirectly about each other? Hmm...

Out of my own experience, I've found that some women can't help to be a bit bitchy, and that is myself included. However, I believe that society has gotten to the point where we can't be happy for other people. Why can't we be happy if a friend gets a promotion, a great grade at university or how their love life is going? I've always found us girls to be in constant competition with each other. We look down our noses at other women's choices in life, whether it's a career choice, choice of relationship, right down to really superficial things such as appearance and fashion. In school and university, it was always the battle of who was the smartest, most fashionable and the most attractive to males. Those were the most sought-after attributes to have. Frankly, it was exhausting trying to live up to the rules and expectations we as women set each other. I guess I'm just at the stage of my life where I'm done with the competition. I understand it can be hard to see people do well in life, but I think we forget we're meant to be happy for our friends and their achievements. If we loosened up a bit and just accept ourselves for who we are and STOP comparing ourselves with others, we'd be in much happier places in life. As for the media encouraging women to hate each other, I'm glad to see singers such as Lady Gaga and Florence Welch (who I love SOOO much) break this mould, it is so refreshing and encouraging to see.

Thanks for reading.
Niamh x


No comments:

Post a Comment